Topic ID #39113 - posted 1/16/2018 7:11 PM

CV for graduate school?


Hi everyone,
I'm applying for grad school this year, and most of my applications ask for a CV of some kind. I've written a lot of resumes over the years, but never a CV. I have a couple of questions that I figured you other archaeologists might know how to answer.

My first question is this: how long is too long? When I google it, most people suggest 2 pages or so, but like a lot of BA archaeologists, I've had a whole lot of short field tech gigs that have each lasted about 6 months. Do I put all of them on the CV, or is that too much? When I list everything (by which I mean everything archaeology-related and nothing else), I end up four pages.Obviously, I want to show that I have ample work experience, but I don't want someone looking at my CV and rolling their eyes at the length.

Second, regarding publications: I wrote or co-wrote a couple of reports and documents that are on file with agencies I worked for (i.e., the Forest Service and the Army), but that aren't actually available to the general public. Is this something I would list on a CV under publications, even though they're not in journals or books? 

Thanks so much for any advice! 

Post ID#20943 - replied 2/2/2018 9:00 PM


An academic CV is a different beast from a resume (at least in the US - I think the U.K. usage maybe different). It is intended as a comprehensive listing of professional activity, and very little (if anything) not related to archaeology. There's no upper page limit and senior faculty can run well over 40 pages.

It's perfectly acceptable to list field gigs individually, especially at your stage. If sets of them were similar types of projects for the same company, it would also be acceptable to group them and put a note about total months worked in the entry.

Your reports should be listed under publications even if they aren't publicly available. If they are your only examples of professional writing that you are listing, you might title the section "Reports" rather than publications. If you do have some other type of publication, put them in separate subsections under publications. This demonstrates that you can do professional level work, but also that you understand the differences among types of publications. Your reports should list where they are on file or submitted ("report on file with the OR SHPO" or "internal report submitted to xx agency")

I recommend going on or departmental websites and downloading people's CVs as examples.


Visit our Employment Network websites: - - For information on advertising on this website, contact