PaleoWest is seeking a GIS Specialist with experience working within Cultural Resource Management regulations in the state of Florida. Our ideal candidate must be familiar with standard field data collection products, archaeological report figures, and general archaeological field and reporting methods. Team members fulfilling this role work closely with Project Managers to ensure comprehensive understanding of individual project goals and collaborate on long-term solutions for improving field and reporting efficiency.
Job duties may be performed remotely or at our Tallahassee or Tampa Bay offices. Candidates within commuting distance to one of these locations are preferred to assist in training efforts and collaboration with regional field crews.
- Preparing and revising field data collection products, tailored to match specific projects and project goals
- Preparing and revising report figures
- Executing Site File Search research, including retrieving SHPO data and researching historic resources when applicable
- Georeferencing and digitization of raster images
- Manipulation of various data types and sources (KML, Shapefiles, Feature Datasets, and CAD data)
- Organization of spatial data with use of geodatabases
- Production of field data collection products including geolocated maps and web maps
- Work with Google Earth and ESRI ArcGIS Pro 2.x, ArcMap 10.x, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Collector, and Field Maps for ArcGIS
- Import/export of shapefiles, tables, and other spatial data as requested
- Adherence to agency-specific requirements within PaleoWest branding guidelines
- Basic support for Esri field data collection applications (e.g. ArcGIS Field Maps and ArcGIS Collector)
- Proficiency with ArcGIS software, geodatabases, geoprocessing tools, and comfortable with advanced data processing workflows
- Minimum two years of experience using ArcGIS Pro 2.x and ArcMap 10.x. Minimum one year working with ArcGIS Online.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, anthropology/archaeology, or allied discipline
- Ability to understand and work within Cultural Resources Management regulations for a variety of stakeholders and geographic regions
- Familiarity with operating hand-held GPS units for navigation and electronic field data collection (previous experience operating Trimble units preferred), as well as troubleshooting of GPS equipment and data issues
- Experience reviewing and interpreting cultural resources data in reports, maps, and photographs.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting to accomplish project goals
- Ability to work under pressure and meet last minute deadlines with colleagues across the United States
- Strong organizational skills with ability to produce professional draft and final deliverables
- Flexibility and capability to meet the demands of rapidly changing plans and schedules
- Written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to effectively communicate principles and cultural resources management concepts
- Field experiences related to archaeology preferred but not required (e.g., mapping, data recording, site photography, sketch maps, survey, and data recovery)
- Ability to provide occasional assistance with minor IT concerns and direct user issues to our IT Team
PaleoWest is one of the most respected firms in the industry, with offices across the United States. If you are interested in joining our rapidly growing team of professionals, please send a resume and cover letter, including professional references and hourly pay requirements. This is a full-time position that comes with a great benefits package and huge growth potential. Pay will be commensurate with experience, and bonuses may be offered for exceptional performance. Our benefits package includes health insurance, a 401(k) plan with employer matching after six months of employment, paid time off, and telecommuting.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or willingness to get vaccinated prior to date of hire is required for all employees.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.
We look forward to hearing from you today.
Please apply through this link: https://jobapply.page.link/95RG