AmaTerra Environmental, Inc. (AmaTerra), an award-winning, woman-owned, small business is seeking an experienced Project Archaeologist based in Arkansas. The successful applicant will work alongside AmaTerra’s staff serving a variety of federal, state, municipal, and private clients. Applicants must have a graduate degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a closely related field. Applicants must have two or more years of professional archaeological experience leading archaeological surveys. Experience working on and/or leading National Register testing and evaluation projects, as well as data recovery excavations is preferred.Knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Working knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to cultural resources.
• Experience in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and/or Louisiana (preferred), but will consider experience conducting fieldwork and research in other parts of the United States.
• Some level of supervisory experience on field projects.
• Experience with GPS technologies and other data collection methods.
• Understanding of reporting standards; a writing sample may be requested for review.
• Specific research areas and/or skills such as remote sensing, faunal analysis, lithic technology, historic archaeology, or geomorphology.
Successful candidates must also be able to:
• overnight travel required (at least 50 percent).
• walk up to 10 miles a day.
• dig shovel tests to depths of up to one meter.
• ability to lift 50 pounds.
• work outdoors in potentially adverse weather conditions.
Job responsibilities will include developing and planning field projects, leading field crews on survey, testing, and data recovery projects, report writing, client interface, and working with all staff in AmaTerra Offices.
AmaTerra offers a competitive salary for this position, plus an attractive suite of benefits (health insurance, 401(k), sick/vacation leave, etc.).
AmaTerra is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. This position will remain open until filled. Applicants are requested to email their detailed curriculum vitae, cover letter, and writing sample to Jill Madden, President at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Project Archaeologist – Arkansas.