Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. is currently seeking a part time Archaeological Technician in Las Cruces, NM.
Under the routine guidance of supervisory staff, the Archaeological Technician performs archaeological fieldwork inclusive of survey, site recording, excavation, and/or monitoring. Effective communication, a good work ethic, and the ability to take instruction are preferred skills for this position. Pay rates are commensurate with experience, ranging from $16 to $20/hour.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs pedestrian survey for the identification of historic and prehistoric cultural resources
• Performs in-field analysis and documentation of archaeological artifacts and features
• Assists with resource photography and mapping in the field
• Navigation and GPS data collection using Trimble units (knowledge of ArcPad and/or Collector is a plus)
• Prepares Laboratory of Anthropology and Historic Cultural Properties Inventory forms
• Conducts subsurface testing of archaeological resources
• Conducts archaeological monitoring
• Bachelor’s Degree in archaeology, anthropology or a related field
• 1-2 years work related experience
• Valid Driver’s license
• Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Analytical thinking and problem solving
• Strong work ethic
• Some sedentary work is performed in an office setting. Outdoors. Rugged to extremely rugged terrain in extreme temperature ranges, often in uninhabited areas.
• Must be able to walk 8-10 miles a day with field pack and ample water, over rough terrain in variable weather conditions which likely will include high temperatures in summer months.
• A portion of the duties require working outdoors under extreme temperature, strenuous physical effort associated with hiking during archaeological reconnaissance and surveys, such as climbing steep slopes, and physical labor such as stooping, bending, carrying loads in excess of 50 pounds associated with archaeological excavation work.