PROJECT DIRECTOR/FIELD SUPERVISOR
Alpine Archaeological Consultants, Inc. (Alpine) has an opening for an Archaeological Field Supervisor in Montrose, Colorado. This individual will serve as a field supervisor for inventory, testing, and excavation projects in our service area. Alpine is a small business that engages solely in contracted cultural resource studies throughout the Rocky Mountain, Great Basin, and Great Plains states.
The position is a archaeological supervisor position and requires experience in CRM in the Rocky Mountain and Great Basin states. Responsibilities include conducting background research, survey and excavation fieldwork, and laboratory analysis; writing reports; and coordinating with other Alpine staff members. Work tasks will involve determinations of National Register eligibility, evaluation of impacts, and design of mitigation measures. This work can include all types of cultural resources. Skills include working independently, working on teams, and being able to serve as a field crew supervisor. Applicants should be able to demonstrate excellence in technical writing, and ability and experience in all areas of archaeological inquiry (research, survey, excavation, analysis).
• Sufficient experience in CRM, preferably involving Section 106 compliance projects, to meet federal and state agency permitting requirements as a Field Director in Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, and/or Wyoming. Preference will be given to those with a Master’s degree.
• An ability to conduct fieldwork, including survey, testing and data recovery, for long hours in inclement weather, rough terrain, and/or high elevations.
• Proficiency at the identification, recordation, and evaluation of archaeological sites of prehistoric and historical archaeological sites.
• Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel.
• Proficiency with software such as MS Word, Access, and Excel
Salary and Benefit Package
At this time, we will consider individuals interested in seasonal or staff positions. Ultimately, we are looking for an individual for a full-time staff position. Per diem and lodging is provided for projects outside of the local (Montrose) area. Salary is dependent on qualifications, but is generally $43,000 to $56,000 per year. Staff benefits include: paid holidays, health and disability insurance, paid sick and vacation leave, professional development stipend, and eligibility for a profit-sharing retirement (401k) plan at the completion of one year employment.
Please submit a current vita with the names and phone numbers of at least three references to our website. Include a cover letter stating how we may contact you and the dates you are first available.
Alpine Archaeological Consultants, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.