The Center for Digital Antiquity, in the School for Human Evolution and Social Change (SHESC), is devoted to enhancing preservation of and access to irreplaceable archaeological records and data. Digital Antiquity supports archaeological research, resource management, education, and public outreach by providing new and innovative ways of finding, managing, preserving, and using archaeological information. Archaeologists, computer scientists, and information management experts have created Digital Antiquity with two basic goals. One is to improve substantially the ease of accessing and using archaeological information. The other, equally important, is to provide for the long-term preservation of the irreplaceable records of archaeological investigations.
Reporting to the Director of the Center for Digital Antiquity, the Program Manager is responsible for assisting with budgeting, marketing/sales, and strategic planning. The Program Manager assists with planning and implementing Digital Antiquity’s activities and operations, which includes helping to establish a long-term vision for the Center.
The Program Manager oversees the preparation of proposals for continued funding; acts as the primary liaison with current funding source; supervises the preparation of budget proposals; recommends the allocation of resources within the limitations of the budget. Directs the recruitment of local participants within the region utilizing the most appropriate promotional and marketing methods. Establishes and maintains liaison with regional, state, and national organizations involved in the implementation of technology.
Budgeting and marketing/sales:
• Participates in planning, developing and administering the Center’s budget.
• Implements information, ideas, and research to develop marketing strategies.
• Develops sales strategies and approaches for Digital Antiquity’s services.
• Develops new client relationships and maintains professional relationships with existing and potential clients. Answers questions from clients and organizations.
• Tracks sales data and works to meet financial goals.
• Prepares and presents quarterly performance reports for Board of Directors meetings.
• Attends conferences and travels to meet clients as needed.
• Assists the director in developing, implementing, evaluating, and revising the Center for
Digital Antiquity’s strategic plan. The strategic plan outlines Digital Antiquity’s short-term and long-term vision and goals, including business plans and budgeting strategies that ensure the continuing financial health of the Center.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND five years administrative/coordination experience; OR, Master’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND three years administrative/coordination experience; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Evidence of a Master’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, Native American Studies or related field, AND four (4) years of related administrative experience, including at least two (2) years of supervisory experience.
• Experience with sales, contract negotiation and project management.
• Evidence of effective communication skills.
• Experience in facilitating research partnerships and the ability to understand broad social science and technical issues.
• Experience in marketing techniques and utilizing social media for marketing purposes.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of archaeological data collection, digital data preservation, digital data management, and digital archiving.
• Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal cultural heritage-related government agencies connected to funding archaeological data preservation and archiving.
• Demonstrated knowledge of archaeological site protection and management regulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of academic research environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of grant writing and grant application procedures.
• Demonstrated knowledge of archaeological data collection and analysis methods, techniques, procedures.
• Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting
• Candidate must have visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of a desktop computer; and ability to bend, stoop, reach and lift up to 20 pounds.
• Works from general instructions on standard job duties and specific directions/instructions on new assignments
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate to perform essential functions are required as well as an ability to use a calculator, telephone, computer (monitor, keyboard and mouse), printer, fax and copy machine.
Known for its leadership in innovative education and research, the School of Human Evolution and Social Change includes one of the nation’s top-ranked anthropology programs and the largest and most research-productive transdisciplinary anthropology faculty in the nation. Staying true to our four-field anthropological origins means we remain committed to leveraging a long-term, comparative, and holistic perspective on human origins and diversity as a way to understand and address complex problems, now and for the future, and a deep concern for community engagement and social justice. In addition to anthropology, our students can earn degrees in global health, applied mathematics for the life and social sciences and museum studies. We are also known for our high quality study abroad, field school programs and research apprenticeship opportunities for our ~1,000 undergraduate majors and ~200 graduate students.
We offer a dynamic, collegial, and challenging work environment due to the pace of innovation, complex array of research and academic programs, and high profile initiatives. SHESC is the largest social science unit in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, ASU’s largest and most diverse college. For complete information, see http://shesc.asu.edu/
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.