Senior Staff Archaeologist – Northern, Central (Sacramento), Southern California – Aspen Environmental Group
Aspen Environmental Group (Aspen) is seeking a Senior Staff Archaeologist to fill a full-time position participating in a variety of upcoming projects in several southern, central, and northern California locations.
About Aspen. Aspen is a dynamic, interdisciplinary environmental services firm that provides impacts analysis, permitting, and compliance services for a wide variety of federal and state agencies, as well as private clients. Aspen specializes in providing expert compliance services for complex, multi-faceted infrastructure and public works projects. Aspen’s growing cultural resources group is innovative in the approach and use of new technologies yet remains well-grounded in the professional understanding of federal and state laws and regulations, in addition to local ordinances and general plans applicable to cultural and tribal cultural resources. We maintain a collaborative work environment that promotes multi-disciplinary cooperation and teamwork and rigorous applied science. We pride ourselves on shaping careers in a way that provides a healthy rhythm of work and life responsibilities. Success at Aspen will include a blend of motivated initiative, business acumen, technical expertise, commitment, flexibility, and teamwork.
Required Education and Experience
• An M.A. or a Ph.D. in archaeology.
• Minimum of 4 years of supervisory or management experience in California CRM.
• RPA certification preferred.
• Expertise in California archaeology, and extensive understanding of CEQA, Assembly Bill 52, NEPA, and Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. Familiarity with U.S. Forest Service Programmatic Agreements, Bureau of Land Management Manuals.
• Caltrans standards and requirements related to cultural resources would be a plus.
• Experience working with California Native American tribal members is a plus.
• Excellent writing skills and demonstrable experience in contributing to or preparing resource evaluation documents and technical reports.
• Experience in conducting pedestrian field survey using Trimble GPS and/or Fulcrum Smartphone technology in addition to illustrating site sketch maps and features accurately.
• Experience identifying prehistoric and historic artifact classes and materials and faunal remains,
• Have a sound knowledge of soils, geomorphology and how to describe them.
• Experience in conducting test excavations and data recovery projects, and completing California DPR forms accurately, succinctly; and quickly in the field using Aspen apps.
• Successful candidates must have the ability to maintain high quality field notes, keep good organization of field records, and maintain a professional demeanor in a variety of often strenuous outdoor and remote environmental work conditions.
• Experience with ESRI or Adobe Creative Cloud and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) a big plus.
• Successful candidates must have a valid CA Driver’s License with a clean driving record and be comfortable working in strenuous hiking and harsh weather conditions.
Responsibilities May Include
• Assisting in the management and further development of several on-going cultural resource projects.
• Assisting in the management of cultural/tribal/paleontological resources tasks in coordination with Aspen’s Cultural Resources Director, Project Managers, and Aspen’s Paleontologist.
• Assist in the management, supervision and direction of archaeological surveys, and site testing. and preparation of resource evaluation documents.
• Assist in the preparation of cultural and/or tribal cultural sections of environmental documents, technical reports, and other compliance and recommendation documents.
• Assist in conducting Native American consultation support services.
• Participate in marketing and proposal preparation activities.
The ideal candidate would be enthusiastic, highly motivated, attentive to fine details, well organized, and comfortable working remotely via cell phone app and email exchange. This candidate would be able to transport themselves to the work site and to Aspen’s office locations, when necessary.
Aspen offers a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, references, and a writing sample of a previously published environmental section in which the candidate was the sole or majority author to:
Lauren DeOliveira at email@example.com
The subject line must state, “Senior Staff Archaeologist.”
Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer