Staff Archaeologist/Field Tech – Sacramento and Southern California – Aspen Environmental Group
Aspen Environmental Group (Aspen) is seeking Staff Archaeologists and Archaeological Field Technicians to participate in a variety of upcoming projects in several southern, and central California locations
About Aspen. Aspen is a dynamic, interdisciplinary environmental services firm that provides impacts analysis, permitting, and compliance services for a wide variety of federal and state agencies, as well as private clients. Aspen specializes in providing expert compliance services for complex, multi-faceted infrastructure and public works projects. Aspen’s growing cultural resources group is innovative in the approach and use of new technologies yet remains well-grounded in the professional understanding of federal and state laws and regulations, in addition to local ordinances and general plans applicable to cultural and tribal cultural resources. Aspen’s cultural resources group provides a supportive and stimulating work environment that you are sure to find rewarding.
Responsibilities. The selected candidate(s) may, as needed:
• Perform pedestrian field survey using Trimble GPS and/or Fulcrum Smartphone technology in addition to illustrating site sketch maps and features accurately,
• Be able to identify (describe, measure, photograph and illustrate) prehistoric and historic artifact classes and materials and faunal remains,
• Have a sound knowledge of soils, geomorphology and how to describe them,
• Participate in excavations using trowel, brush, shovel, backhoe or whatever recovery procedure is warranted under the supervision of an Aspen Field Director,
• Conduct archaeological monitoring of construction sites,
• Complete California DPR forms accurately, succinctly; and quickly in the field using Aspen apps. Experience with ESRI or Adobe Creative Cloud and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) a big plus,
Successful candidates must have the ability to maintain high quality field notes, keep good organization of field records, and maintain a professional demeanor in a variety of often strenuous outdoor and remote environmental work conditions.
Education and Experience. Candidates must have either a B.A. degree in anthropology, or a Master’s degree in archaeology or cultural resources management. In both cases, the candidate must have at least three years of experience working with California prehistoric or historic-aged resources and be able to identify prehistoric and historic artifacts. Certification by the Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA) is a plus, but not required. Candidates must also have a good understanding of culture history relevant to California.
• Successful candidates must have a valid CA Driver’s License with a clean driving record and be comfortable working in strenuous hiking and harsh weather conditions.
The ideal candidate would be enthusiastic, highly motivated, attentive to fine details, well organized, and comfortable working remotely via cell phone app and email exchange. This candidate would be able to transport themselves to the work site and to Aspen’s office locations.
Compensation. To be determined based on education, experience, and skill set, but generally $18-$30/hour.
To apply. Please email to Lauren DeOliveira at firstname.lastname@example.org
• a letter of interest,
• a two- or four-page resume,
• contact information for at least three references.
The subject line must state, “Staff Archaeologist.”
Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer