The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands is hiring Archaeological Monitors/Project Liaisons to provide full-time oversight of data recovery and construction operations related to a high-profile development project involving numerous archaeological sites in the northwest corner of Edwards Air Force Base, comprising more than 4,000 acres.
The Archaeological Monitors will act as independent project liaisons whose primary duty is to monitor data recovery and construction operations.. These Project Liaisons will ensure all actions are performance in accordance with the Historic Properties Treatment Plan (HPTP) and any derivative Work Plans.
The Archaeological Monitors must have prior experience working with and around heavy machinery to monitor excavations and earth-moving construction activities. This position requires excellent skills in observation, documentation, and reporting; a positive attitude; strong work ethic; commitment to quality and safety; and experience collating, tracking, reviewing, and commenting on monitoring and field reports conducted by others.
The work may require walking long distances and performing physically demanding tasks in varying environments and conditions (i.e. steep terrain, heat, cold, etc.) for up to 10-hours per day.
LOCATION: Edwards Air Force Base (EAFB) is located in the western portion of the Mojave Desert, 100-miles northeast of Los Angeles. EAFB is the Air Force Materiel Command center of excellence for conducting and supporting research, development, and test and evaluation of aerospace systems from concept to combat. From development of the country’s first jet aircraft to the Air Force’s newest fighter, the test forces at EAFB have played a role in the development of nearly every aircraft to enter the Air Force inventory since World War II.
For more career opportunities, and to learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, please visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/
· Bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or closely related field.
· Candidates must also have a minimum of 3 years of field experience working on and/or supervising monitoring, testing, and data recovery projects.
· Thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional archeology.
· Resume should demonstrate a combination of post-graduate professional knowledge and field experience regarding application of laws and regulations, field techniques, and survey/investigation processes and procedures
· Proficient with all aspects of archaeological research and reporting, including research design, mitigation plans, fieldwork, and report writing.
· Have a thorough understanding of most standard computer programs, especially MS Windows OS and Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Previous work experience in a highly structured, hierarchical workplace with a well-defined chain of command.
· Highly qualified candidates will possess prior professional work experience in the Mojave Desert and/or Great Basin regions
· Highly qualified candidates have the ability to identify artifacts and cultural features in the field.
· Register of Professional Archaeologist (RPA) certified candidates are encouraged to apply.
· Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with a wide range of data.
· Excellent technical writing skills.
· Ability to work independently, maintain flexibility, and manage simultaneous workloads of multiple tasks is highly desirable.
· Ability to act with diplomacy and discretion at all organizational levels with excellent judgment, interpersonal, and communication skills is highly desirable.
· Experience with GPS data collection and GIS map production, use of other GIS software and technologies (including the full suite of ESRI products such as ArcMap, ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, Collector, and AvenzaMaps).
· Demonstrated familiarity with military culture and its established lines of authority, procedures, and protocols is beneficial
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Annual salary range $45,000 – $65,000. This is a 12-month Administrative Professional position with possibility of extension up to two years.
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective candidates should apply online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/95328. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply by November 23, 2021 for full consideration.
A complete application consists of:
• Statement of Qualifications (one page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
• References (contact information for three professional references, including at least one supervisor)
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. CEMML/Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce, and complies with all federal and Colorado state laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.