Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management firm, has an opening for a Principal Investigator – Marine Archaeology. The preferred location for this opportunity is in Providence, RI, but we will consider Cincinnati, OH, Houston, TX, Indianapolis, IN, or Richmond, VA. For candidates who meet all of the required qualifications and many of the preferred qualifications, Gray & Pape will consider a remote work option. This role is regular, full time, and salaried exempt. The salary range for this position is $65,000-$80,000 commensurate with experience, qualifications, and education. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built in flexibility for days in the office.
Summary of the Role:
The PI-Marine Archaeology will be responsible for assisting Gray & Pape with a diverse portfolio of underwater and maritime archaeological projects across the U.S. supporting offshore energy development, coastal restoration, shoreline stabilization, broad research-oriented projects throughout North American waters, and international cultural impact assessments. The candidate should possess knowledge of the scientific and technical methods used in marine archaeology, including remote sensing surveys, data processing, and technical writing skills.
• Responsible for timely and cost-effective conception, implementation, and completion of projects.
• Works toward competency in managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Develops project-specific budgets, personnel assignments, and schedules.
• Develops research goals, field plans, work products (including all reports), and resource-specific recommendations.
• Serves the client by understanding the requirements of the scope of work, using professional expertise for the management of cultural resources and providing a high-quality work product on time and on budget.
• Sets realistic project goals which can be achieved within cost and time constraints.
• Organizes and provides sufficient and complete information to team members; coordinates project input from staff and subcontractors.
• Develops professional recommendations for the management of cultural resources, particularly archaeological resources, using the National Register of Historic Places and other applicable criteria.
• Responsible for the organization and completion of project-specific reports.
• Responsible for communication and/or coordination with other project and company personnel, clients, and client representatives.
• Participates in public outreach programs to educate people about the importance of archaeological resources and Heritage Management, at the project, professional, and/or community levels.
• Supports marketing and prepares proposals.
• M.A./M.S. in Anthropology, Archaeology with an emphasis in underwater archaeology, or related field plus 5 years CRM supervisory and report preparation experience.
• Ability to function as a Qualified Marine Archaeologist (QMA) per Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) Guidelines.
• Experience collecting and interpreting geophysical remote sensing survey data including side-scan sonar, magnetometer, gradiometer, sub-bottom profiler systems, and/or multibeam.
• Experience with GIS mapping, geodetic conversions, and geodatabase creation.
• Demonstrable attention to detail and clear communication as applied to client interactions.
• Demonstrable experience with project scoping, technical execution of the project, and report writing.
• Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA).
• Marine archaeology experience in the Northeast and Middle Atlantic regions.
• Management standards regarding identification and treatment of historic properties in federal waters.
• Certified diver with demonstrated scientific diver training.
• Marine archaeology data acquisition, documentation, analysis, and interpretation skills (e.g., ROV deployment, underwater photography, underwater excavation techniques, etc.).
• Demonstrated experience evaluating geophysical and geotechnical data for potential submerged paleolandscapes.
This position requires travel and is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health, dental, vision, and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are ready to join our team, please submit the following to Charity Touchette, HR Director, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
• Cover letter detailing expression of interest and office preference;
• Resume or CV;
• 1 writing sample. Preferred writing sample will be a CRM report with applicant as the author.
The position is open until December 3, 2021, and we will be interviewing qualified applicants immediately. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.