About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Staff Archaeologist to assist with cultural resources management work within the Texas and the Gulf Coast region. Under the supervision of a Cultural Resources Lead, this position will perform field and office tasks while working with and supervising crew members. This is full-time, regular status position, with ability to work in our Houston, Texas office, as either an office or hybrid employee. Remote work is not available for this position.
In this role, you will manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one or more crews of archaeological technicians during survey, site recording, monitoring, or excavation projects. You may also assist with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, the preparation of site forms, and technical reports. SWCA offers a unique work environment specializing in delivering natural and cultural resources services across Texas and the greater Gulf Coast Region.
What you will accomplish
- Supervise one or more crews in fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, and monitoring, and ensure quality and completeness of data collected.
- Ensure that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff, and other resources are ready for fieldwork.
- Accurately identify historic-era and prehistoric artifacts and features, and train less experienced field crew in their identification.
- Assist with office-based tasks, including laboratory work, performing literature reviews, research, site form preparation, and assist technical report preparation, as needed.
- Communicate effectively when reporting to Project Archaeologists, Principal Investigators, clients, and client representatives in the field such as land agents to facilitate successful project planning and logistics.
- Work independently in a responsible manner, within defined schedules and meet deadlines.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a related field
- Completion of an accredited archaeological field school
- Minimum of two (2) years working as a field archaeologist
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather (including high heat and humidity), rugged terrain, and at high altitudes
- Ability to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license, the ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening, and have access to reliable transportation.
- Master’s degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a related field
- Experience working in Texas and the greater Gulf Coast region
- 1+ years of experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies
- Experience collecting field data utilizing modern mobile technology (tablets with programs such as ESRI Field Map and Survey 123) and Trimble GPS units (Terrasync and/or ArcPad)
- Knowledge of federal and state preservation laws and regulations including, but not limited to the National Environmental Policy Act, Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- CPR and First Aid certified is a plus
- Currently reside in the Houston, Texas vicinity or plan to relocate to the Houston, Texas vicinity in the immediate future.
- Compensation based on education and experience
- Estimated time in the field is approximately 80-90%.
- Project schedules may often include up to 12-hour days, 6 days a week for extended periods.
- Hours worked over 40 hours per week are paid at time-and-a-half rate.
- Single occupancy hotels paid directly by SWCA.
- Per diem up to $59 for full day, unless otherwise noted for specific projects.
- Vehicles provided for projects.
- Opportunity for advancement within SWCA.
If you are seeking an opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions, then SWCA will be a great fit for you!
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
Additional information: $18-$26/Hr