Piñon Heritage Solutions (Sacramento, CA) seeks a temporary on-call Archaeological Field Technician and a Crew Chief for survey and monitoring work in Northern California. Work begins in early to mid-April 2021.
Single-occupancy lodging and per diem available. Pay rates are commensurate with experience and responsibilities. Individuals based in northern California preferred. All field personnel must be willing to abide by any COVID-19 safety precautions, including social distancing and wearing face masks.
Field Technician Responsibilities:
• Perform pedestrian survey and/or construction monitoring.
• Recognize and document a wide range of prehistoric and historic-era resources using Trimble GPS technology, California DPR forms, sketch-maps and digital photography.
• Maintain written daily field notes and provide daily email updates to project management, as appropriate.
• Coordinate and communicate effectively with construction crews and project personnel, maintaining a high level of professionalism at all times.
• Comply with project safety requirements.
Field Technician Required Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in archaeology, anthropology or a related field.
• At least 6 months of field experience identifying and documenting cultural resources. Experience should include work as a field archeologist in California or the Great Basin.
• Ability to read and understand maps, and to prepare sketch maps.
• Valid Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
• Must be physically capable of negotiating rugged terrain for extended periods of time in all weather conditions.
Crew Chief Responsibilities:
• Direct small team of field technicians on pedestrian surveys.
• Oversee crew safety, performance, and survey accuracy.
• Recognize and document a wide range of prehistoric and historic-era resources using Trimble GPS technology, GIS-enabled tablets, California DPR forms, sketch maps and digital photography. Supervise junior staff conducting the same tasks.
• Coordinate directly with agency staff and private property owners, with a high level of professionalism.
• Maintain written daily survey, monitoring, or site-recordation logs and provide daily email updates to project management.
Crew Chief Qualifications:
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in anthropology, archaeology or a related field.
• At least 3-5 years of field experience with prehistoric and historic-era resources. Previous experience in California or the Great Basin required.
• Prior supervisory experience directing field crews.
• Well-developed GPS/GIS skills including the use of Trimble units and GIS-enabled Tablets, using Collector.
• Physically capable of negotiating rugged terrain for extended periods of time in all weather conditions.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
Applications should be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Archaeological Field Technician” or “Crew Chief” referenced in the subject line and should include a resume of relevant experience and references (with contact information, including email addresses and telephone numbers). Please see our website for more information about Piñon https://pinonheritage.com/.