Senior Archaeologist/Project Manager – Arizona – Aspen Environmental Group
Aspen Environmental Group (Aspen) is seeking a Senior Archaeologist to fill an on-call position as a Project Manager for upcoming projects in Arizona.
Required Education and Experience
• Must be permittable at the Principal Investigator or Field Director level on BLM, National Forest, and State lands in Arizona.
• Must be knowledgeable of federal, state, and local historic preservation and cultural resources regulations.
• An M.A. or a Ph.D. in archaeology.
• Minimum of 3 years of supervisory or management experience in CRM; RPA certification preferred.
• Expertise in Arizona archaeology; familiarity with U.S. Forest Service Programmatic Agreements, BLM Management Manuals.
• Experience assisting agencies with tribal consultation/coordination is a plus.
• Experience in conducting pedestrian field survey using Trimble GPS and/or Fulcrum Smartphone technology in addition to illustrating site sketch maps and features accurately.
• Experience identifying southwest prehistoric and historic artifact classes and materials and faunal remains,
• Have a sound knowledge of soils, geomorphology and how to describe them.
• Experience in conducting test excavations and data recovery projects, and completing site forms accurately, succinctly; and quickly in the field using Aspen apps.
• Successful candidates must have the ability to maintain high quality field notes, keep good organization of field records, and maintain a professional demeanor in a variety of often strenuous outdoor and remote environmental work conditions.
• Experience with ESRI or Adobe Creative Cloud and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) a big plus.
• Excellent writing skills and demonstrable experience in contributing to or preparing resource evaluation documents and technical reports.
• Successful candidates must have a valid AZ Driver’s License with a clean driving record and be comfortable working in strenuous hiking and harsh weather conditions.
About Aspen. Aspen is a dynamic, interdisciplinary environmental services firm that provides impacts analysis, permitting, and compliance services for a wide variety of federal and state agencies, as well as private clients. Aspen specializes in providing expert compliance services for complex, multi-faceted infrastructure and public works projects. Aspen’s growing cultural resources group is innovative in the approach and use of new technologies yet remains well-grounded in the professional understanding of federal and state laws and regulations, in addition to local ordinances and general plans applicable to cultural and tribal cultural resources. We maintain a collaborative work environment that promotes multi-disciplinary cooperation and teamwork and rigorous applied science. We pride ourselves on shaping careers in a way that provides a healthy rhythm of work and life responsibilities. Success at Aspen will include a blend of motivated initiative, business acumen, technical expertise, commitment, flexibility, and teamwork.
Aspen offers a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience. The preferred candidate will be an Arizona resident.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, references, and a writing sample of a previously published technical report or report section for which the candidate was the sole or majority author to:
Lauren DeOliveira at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer