This listing closes on 6/30/2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada).
$55,619.20 – $78,769.60 Annually
Arlington *METRO-accessible*, VA
Department of Libraries
Closing date and time
6/30/2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Position Information Arlington County Intern
This is a one-year, full-time, paid Internship Program
Arlington County is an exciting, innovative local government entity located in Northern Virginia. We are seeking highly motivated individuals for exciting one-year Internships in a variety of positions across the County. These positions offer a career opportunity to qualified individuals with little or no previous professional work experience to help them prepare for a career in a variety of fields of work. This Internship will provide recent college graduates and currently enrolled graduate students with an in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities in areas critical to supporting local government initiatives while participating in a developmental and training cohort with peers.
Over the course of a year, Interns work under the mentorship and supervision of senior staff members to gain valuable on-the-job training and real-world work experience. They support the County’s efforts to consistently work toward greater efficiency and effectiveness by offering improved processes and fresh ideas, and by leveraging smart technologies, while becoming familiar with the public-sector work environment as a viable and fulfilling career path.
2021 and 2022 college graduates with a preferred minimum GPA of 3.0 and who have no professional work experience in an area related to the internship are welcome to apply. Applications will be considered from candidates who have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in 2021 or 2022 prior to the start date of the Internship or applicants who are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program related to the internship.
The successful candidate will possess the following traits;
- The willingness to explore and follow best practices;
- Self-motivation with a desire to excel;
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving abilities;
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects and/or tasks and easily switch focus as required;
- Ability to research and understand technical documentation;
- Interacting with multiple levels of staff and to express ideas articulately, verbally, and in writing to a variety of audiences;
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational and planning skills; and
- Strong customer service skills.
Department of Libraries
The Center for Local History (CLH) at Arlington Public Library collects, preserves, and shares resources that illustrate Arlington County’s history, diversity, and communities. The CLH operates a public Research Room at Central Library and maintains the Arlington Community Archives, an off-site archival repository.
The Center for Local History Intern position will participate in local history/archival activities, including education and outreach, to gain a comprehensive overview of the operation of a special collection and community archives.
Specific duties include:
- collaborating with staff on various digital and physical exhibits;
- conducting original research using special collections and archival materials;
- promoting the collections and program by writing articles and social media posts;
- organizing and creating content for web-based local history projects;
- assisting with programs and special events;
- providing administrative support for oral history program;
- answering reference/research questions from patrons; and
- assisting in various administrative and customer service tasks.
The ideal Center for Local History intern candidate will possess:
- a passion for history and storytelling;
- excellent research skills;
- excellent oral and written communication skills;
- the ability to multi-task and work independently;
- the ability to provide service to patrons and staff; and
- the ability to function as part of a team.
We anticipate filling these positions between July 1, 2022 and September 1, 2022. Therefore, applications will be accepted from candidates graduating with an undergraduate degree no later than August 2022 and from candidates currently pursuing a Master’s Degree in their field with no prior professional work experience.
- Must have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in 2021 or 2022 prior to the start date of the Internship or are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program related to the internship; and
- Interns may not have professional work experience related to the internship.
Degree Requirements:A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in History, Library and Information Studies, Archives Management, Museum Education, Social Sciences or related discipline.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following.
- G.P.A. of 3.0 or above;
- Experience with writing for publication; and/or
- Experience with outreach activities including programs, events and exhibits.
For more information and to apply: Internships – Official Website of Arlington County Virginia Government (arlingtonva.us)
Covid – 19: Arlington County Government is committed to the health, safety and wellness for all staff. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. For those qualified employees with a disability or sincerely held religious belief which prohibits them from receiving a vaccine, you will be able to contact the Office of Human Rights to request a reasonable accommodation. Adherence to this policy is a condition of employment.
This position may report to multiple work locations: Center for Local History at Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington and/or Arlington Community Archives, 2422 North Fillmore Street, Arlington.
Work Hours: Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week; schedule will include rotating evening and Saturday hours. Flexible shift schedule; telework-eligible up to 2 days/week.
Applicants may be asked to provide certified official transcripts.
Cohort Interns are eligible for health, dental, and leave benefits.
Completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is required as part of the application process for this position. You may further describe your experience by attaching a resume. However, please do not give “see resume” as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.