Job Description: The Great Basin Institute seeks an Archivist to work cooperatively with Yosemite National Park (YOSE) staff to support the Park’s archives program. The GBI Archivist will support the Archives Program at Yosemite National Park by reformatting obsolescent archives for long term management and protection. Activities include pulling obsolescent media identified in a spreadsheet, cleaning the original VHS tape, and then reformatting it into digital media. Work may also include answering research requests, Integrated Pest Management, housekeeping, environmental monitoring, digitization, and assisting the park archivist with a variety of other duties as they arise.
In addition the Archivist will provide support to Kalaupapa, a National Historical Park located in Hawai’i. Work will include surveying, appraising, and cataloging 20-30 linear feet of archival collections, resulting in a catalog record in ICMS and a finding aid.
The work is partially sedentary with prolonged standing, walking, and bending often required, and lifting and moving of heavy items weighing 50 pounds or more.
- Educational experience with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree focused on archive studies or a closely related field – applicants with an advanced degree are encouraged to apply;
- Experience in archives management, including appraisal, arranging and describing, processing, cataloging, research, preservation, and housing of collections;
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision;
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented, possessing strong organizational skills to effectively plan and complete assigned workload within defined timelines;
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with a diverse audience including co-workers, members of the pubic, and agency personnel;
- Intermediate or higher skill using Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel, with ability to manually enter, manage, manipulate, and graphically display data;
- Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities with a positive attitude;
- Ability to work productively, consistently, and cooperatively independently or as part of a team to accomplish mutual goals;
- Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license; and
- Ability to complete activities including prolonged periods of deskwork, lifting and moving of heavy items weighing 50 pounds or more, regularly walk and drive between curation and other facilities.
Successful applicant(s) must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
Compensation: Wage: $18.00/hour
Benefits: Paid personal leave and federal holidays; fully paid medical insurance premiums (health, dental, vision, prescription)
Contract Timeline: • 49 week appointment beginning May 2022, or upon availability and successful completion of a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI)
• Full-time, 40 hours per week
Please apply online at https://www.vscyberhosting.com/greatbasin/careers.aspx?rf=AFW&req=2022-RAP-075