Apalachee Research Archaeological Consultants, Inc. has temporary field crew positions for a Phase I Survey in Sumter National Forest near Greenwood, South Carolina. Work will begin in mid to late August and continue into December. This is a federal project with prevailing wages, health & wellness benefits, and paid holidays.
Anyone with survey experience in Sumter and Francis Marion National Forests (or similar) is encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly rates are $21.94 and $24.51
- The higher rate is reserved for anyone demonstrating proficiency with landform-based survey and ability to work without direct supervision.
- Per Diem will be $40 per day (no receipts required) with single occupancy rooms or the equivalent as a flat rate if you prefer to secure your own accommodations. Per Diem is paid at the beginning of each week.
- Paid federal holidays
- We provide transportation from hotel to worksite and all field equipment and supplies.
- We provide water, ice, facemasks, sunscreen, insect repellant, first aid supplies, gloves, etc.
- Other benefits flexible schedule, no drug tests, and opportunity for rapid promotion & higher pay.
Schedule & Project Information
- We typically work 40 hours per week Monday to Friday but there is room for flexibility to accommodate crew preference.
- This will be steady fieldwork from mid-August into December (barring unforeseen weather events, government shutdowns, or Coronavirus restrictions)
- We will head out before sunrise to be in the field at first light to beat the heat during the summer months.
- We don’t require you to commit to the entire project and are very accommodating in terms of scheduling. Just give as a bit of notice if you need time off during the project or need to leave before the project is over.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Prior experience with shovel test surveys in the southeast
- Ability to navigate with compass and topographic map and cover up to 3 miles a day with a pack weighing up to 40 pounds during the course of an 8 hour day.
- Completed accredited archaeological field school or demonstrate equivalent experience
- In progress or completed bachelor’s degree in Anthropology or related field
- Proficiency with Garmin GPS units, compass, and ability to interpret topographic maps
- Ability to identify of prehistoric and historic artifacts
To apply please send resume and references to
Ray Talley email@example.com (706) 372-1717
Or George Price firstname.lastname@example.org