Over land and under water, SEARCH is an archaeology firm that deploys the full spectrum of cultural heritage services worldwide. SEARCH2O, our maritime program, is at the forefront of historic shipwreck and submerged precontact archaeology, paleolandscape reconstruction, and deep-water archaeology. We are cultural resource industry leaders, pioneers, and subject matter experts across 45 markets, regions, and research sectors. Since 1993, we have completed more than 4,000 Commercial and Government projects in 48 US states, 6 US territories, and 33 countries spanning 7 continents and 4 oceans. By integrating science, technology, and creativity, we harness the power of the past to advance the projects, places, and people we serve.
We have an immediate opening in the SEARCH Southwest region for full-time temporary Archaeological Technicians to support upcoming archaeological surveys and excavation projects. Archaeologists located in Texas and Oklahoma are strongly encouraged to apply. Archaeological technicians will travel from their home locations to designated project sites, with travel logistics covered by SEARCH.
Starting hourly wage ranges from $18-$20/hr, commensurate with education and experience.
SEARCH is dedicated to hiring the most competent, dedicated professionals in our field. Our culture is based on strong work ethic; consistent, high-quality performance; safe work practices; creativity; and excellence in business and staff relationships.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a closely related field.
- Completion of an accredited archaeological field school and/or six months of field experience.
- Valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to obtain a government security clearance.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work in variable terrain and environments.
- Experience and familiarity with archaeology in the Southwest and Plains regions preferred.
The position requires that candidates be able to:
- Conduct archaeological survey, monitoring, and excavation in support of fieldwork for Phase I, II, and III studies as well as Class II and III investigations.
- Adhere to project health and safety plan and participate in office and field training.
- Use electronic and traditional navigational equipment (GPS, iPad/ArcCollector/Survey 123, compass, and transit) to orient yourself and perform fieldwork.
- Photo-document artifacts, ecofacts, features, excavation units, land use, landscapes, unique environmental features, historic structures, archaeological sites, unique environmental features, and work in progress and record an accurate photo log.
- Record accurate, organized, and clear field notes, maps, drawings, logs, forms, tables, databases, artifact bags, box labels, and other project documentation.
- Collect artifacts, ecofacts, and samples in accordance with the research design and keep an accurate field specimen log.
- Complete project tasks and errands as directed by the Archaeologist, Senior Archaeologist, and/or other project leadership.
- Maintain and organize field equipment, supplies, vehicles, and work site.
- Procure field equipment and supplies.
- Travel for extended periods of time.
- Other duties as assigned.
Chosen candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check, including the DMV.
In Word or PDF format, please send a cover letter highlighting any relevant regional archaeology experience, your resume/CV, a minimum of two professional references, and your dates of availability. SEARCH may contact references and will treat all employment inquires with discretion. Apply here: Archaeological Technician Opening
Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the United States. SEARCH offers a competitive compensation package with strong health/wellness and retirement plans.
SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.