Archaeology Field Supervisor (Full Time)
Dutton + Associates, LLC (D+A) is seeking full time Archaeology Field Supervisors to join its Archaeology Group. D+A is a small woman-owned business providing cultural resource management services to public and private sector clients within the Mid-Atlantic region. Archaeology Field Supervisors will work closely with Project Managers and Partners and will be responsible for ensuring that survey methods are implemented and findings documented in accordance with all applicable standards and guidelines. The position will be based out of D+A’s home office in Midlothian, Virginia and some regional overnight travel is expected. The majority of work, however, will be local and not per diem.
Job responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Carry out archaeological investigations (Phase I identification, Phase II evaluation, Phase III data recovery, and archaeological monitoring) in a Cultural Resources Management setting;
- Conduct archaeological excavation outdoors in all weather conditions in both rural and urban environments; with overnight stays on out-of-town projects when required;
- Work with and provide support to other members of the Archaeology Group in assisting with other field and laboratory activities as required;
- Undertake material culture/artifact analysis and reporting;
- Supervise an archaeological Field Crew;
- Take a leadership role in a team environment;
- Provide effective direction and support to field technicians in both fieldwork and lab settings as required;
- Provide training to new archaeological field technicians and refreshers to existing technicians;
- Become familiar with D+A’s Project Management system and technical standards in order to support the project managers in the delivery of consulting services to our clients;
- Participate in D+A’s Health & Safety program and monitor the Health & Safety performance of archaeological field technicians;
- Demonstrate a “Safety First” focus and act as a role model to other staff;
- Maintain a high standard of ethical behavior and uphold D+A’s reputation
- Demonstrate a commitment to D+A’s Core Values; and,
- Perform other duties as required, including but not limited to, artifact analysis, reporting, research, and technical services.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology or related field from a recognized program;
- Working knowledge of the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and Guidelines for Archeology and Historic Preservation and familiarity with the survey guidelines for the states of Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, North Carolina, and West Virginia;
- Demonstrated experience in archaeological fieldwork supervision and the ability to observe and instruct others in good and efficient field methodology at a brisk pace;
- Knowledge of Virginia cultural history specifically and Mid-Atlantic cultural history more broadly;
- Knowledge and familiarity with GPS and GIS field equipment and applications;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent organizational skills; and
- Valid driver’s license and a clear driving record.
This is a full-time benefitted position with competitive pay based on experience and education. Hiring range is $20-23/hour. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, 401k, profit sharing, paid leave, and holidays.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls please. We thank all individuals who express interest in the position but only those individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.