Part-Time Archaeological Crew Members/Field Technicians
Arizona and New Mexico
Pay Range for Crew Member positions $17.00 – $21.00 per hour DOE
For full details and to apply for this specific position, visit our career website at
To view all open positions, visit https://tierra-row.com/index.php/careers
Tierra Right of Way Services, Ltd. (Tierra), is seeking crew members/field technicians for
seasonal survey and excavation projects throughout Arizona and New Mexico. For this
position, preference will be given to candidates willing to work in both Arizona and New
Mexico. Crew members perform duties associated with archaeological survey and the
excavation of archaeological sites. May also be responsible for monitoring at construction sites.
A crew member works on projects that may last a short period of time or a longer period, from
just a couple of days to several months. Working hours may vary from day-to-day and week-toweek and overtime may or may not be available.
Essential Functions and General Responsibilities:
• Takes detailed field notes, draws sketch maps, excavates archaeological features, bags
artifacts and records provenience of the finds during surveys, monitoring and excavations
• Navigates and records data with a Garmin, Trimble, and computer tablet
• Uses a Brunton compass and USGS topographic maps
• Maintains tools and equipment
• Takes photographs with a camera or cell phone
• Walks survey transects on survey crew
• Excavates various types of archaeological features
• Performs other related responsibilities as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong people skills, including the ability to interact and collaborate with other project staff
• Ability to maintain client confidentiality
• Ability to work as a team player
• Ability to work independently, if necessary
• Attention to organization, detail, and accuracy
• Ability to maintain regular attendance and be punctual
• Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
• Ability to understand and follow direction from the Crew Chief and Field Director
Mental and Physical Requirements
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions of the job. The Crew Member must be able to lift and carry up
to 30 pounds on a frequent basis, carry a day pack weighing 20 pounds, climb in and out of
trenches or excavation units using ramps and ladders on a frequent basis and move self in
different positions to accomplish tasks. Participation on cultural resources survey projects may
require the ability to walk up to ten miles a day in rugged conditions.
This position may require frequent overnight travel and extended stays. Some projects require
camping in remote environments.
This position requires work in remote areas and frequent exposure to outdoor elements,
wildlife, rough terrain, and extreme temperatures.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• Valid driver’s license
• Associates and/or Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Archaeology or related field
• Attendance at an accredited archaeological field school
• Field experience
Tierra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For full details and to apply, visit our career website at