Dovetail Cultural Resource Group (Dovetail) is a woman-owned cultural resource management (CRM) firm headquartered in Fredericksburg, Virginia, with an office in Wilmington, Delaware, serving the greater Mid-Atlantic region. We strive to foster an atmosphere of thorough communication and diligent research, empowering staff relationships with each other, our clients, and our preservation partners to best assist our clients in navigating the cultural resource compliance process and achieving their preservation goals.
Dovetail is currently accepting applications for a full-time Report Manager. The preferred base for this position is our Fredericksburg headquarters, though placement in our Wilmington office or as a remote worker may be possible for the right candidate. The primary focus of the position involves managing the production of CRM technical reports and other deliverables, and responsibilities include oversight of the company’s reporting standards and procedures, copy and technical editing of reports and other documents, and managing the staging and production of all written projects including reports, proposals, and marketing materials. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented and well-organized, with strong analytical and communication skills. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; group medical and dental insurance; 401k plan with matching; and an annual professional development stipend.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Assessing, developing, and implementing Dovetail’s reporting standards and procedures, including managing and updating Dovetail’s Report Manual as needed
• Training and mentoring technical staff on processes and standards for reports and other deliverables, and providing feedback to staff members pertaining to their writing and deliverables
• Editing technical reports and other documents for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style
• As appropriate, editing reports and other documents for technical content, including assuring that methodology, results, and recommendations are sound, thorough, and meet required state guidelines
• Tracking report status and coordinating with pertinent staff on outstanding deliverables
• QA/QC oversight of Dovetail’s written products, inclusive of proposals, reports, and related deliverables
Minimum qualifications and critical competencies:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in one of Dovetail’s technical fields (archaeology, architectural history, or history), historic preservation, or a related field
• At least five years’ experience writing and editing CRM reports for submission to local, state, and federal agencies and other clients
• At least three years of full-time, supervisory level, professional experience in archaeology, architectural history, English, geography, environmental sciences, or a related field
• Demonstrated ability to adhere to guidelines and protocols pertaining to written products
• Understanding of the “big picture” in CRM, particularly in terms of the roles and relationships involved in the historic preservation process, our client’s projects and industries, and in compliance with applicable cultural resource laws
• Thorough understanding of federal and state preservation law, particularly Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
• Excellent writing skills, including an understanding of writing and editing best practices
• Extraordinary attention to detail
Please submit a cover letter that includes your preferred work location, curriculum vitae/resume, salary requirements, and three references to Nicki Sauvageau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions may be directed to Ms. Sauvageau by email or at (540) 899-9170. We will begin reviewing applications the week of April 26, though we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted virtually.