The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) is hiring a Natural Resources Specialist 3 (Cultural Resources Specialist – Archaeologist) based in Salem, Oregon.
Help the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife fulfill its mission: To protect and enhance Oregon’s fish and wildlife and their habitats for use and enjoyment by present and future generations.
If you enjoy the outdoors, Oregon is the place for you. We have glaciated mountain peaks to the east, the Pacific Ocean to the west and the massive Columbia River Gorge to the north. To learn more about the department, the work we do, and to see our beautiful state, view the following video at https://youtu.be/8CjDPiPMGAk and visit myodfw.com.
What you will do:
• Help fulfill ODFW’s mission by working in a small but growing team that provides cultural resource support for a variety of project types in the wildlife division, state wildlife areas, and other ODFW programs.
• Review projects for cultural resource clearance submitted by field staff and other project proponents. Determine applicable federal and state laws on a project-by-project basis; work in close coordination with SHPO, Tribes, and federal partners; and conduct surveys and oversee survey contracts to ensure that ODFW stays in compliance with relevant laws and maintains strong relationships with Tribes and other external partners.
• Independently conduct archaeological surveys and archaeological monitoring in accordance with state and federal guidelines in order to identify historic properties. Prepare reports and site forms, when appropriate, in accordance with state guidelines and requirements.
• Work closely with division, field, engineering, and fellow archaeological staff to ensure that cultural resource issues are addressed early in the process of proposed work in order to avoid adverse impacts to significant sites and to streamline the cultural resource compliance process. Review construction and field projects and provide recommendations and evaluations regarding cultural resources.
Salary & Benefits:
• Salary Range: $4,693 – $7,180/month • We offer full medical, vision and dental plans with employees paying 1-5% of their rates
• You will start out accruing 8 hours of sick and 8 hours of vacation leave per month, with your vacation leave accruals increasing every 5 years
• You have access to 24 hours (3 days) of personal business leave to use at your discretion each year
• You receive eleven paid holidays per year • AND you will be automatically enrolled into the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) program
The candidate must have a master’s degree or higher in archaeology, anthropology, or closely related field and meet Secretary of Interior Standards for Archaeology. The candidate must also meet the requirements of a “qualified archaeologist” as defined in Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 390.235 (see https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/OH/pages/archaeology.aspx).
Applicants may see the entire position listing and apply at Natural Resource Specialist 3 (Cultural Resource Specialist – Archaeologist) (myworkdayjobs.com). The application deadline is October 10