Posted Job Title: Environmental Professional – Project Archaeologist
Number of Positions:1
This position may be located in Salt Lake City, Utah; Denver or Colorado Springs, Colorado; Albuquerque or Las Cruces, New Mexico; or Phoenix, Arizona. Flexible work options for candidates resident in one of these states may be available.
This position will lead archaeological fieldwork throughout the Four Corners region (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado) and will supervise mostly small teams of field technicians to conduct cultural resource inventories for a variety of our federal, state, local, and tribal clients. The project archaeologist will manage field generated data including site forms, GIS files, photos, and artifact analysis forms. They will participate as a primary or secondary author of inventory reports and will assist with the development of resource management recommendations. Wilson & Company intends to provide experience and training to progressively achieve Principal Investigator status for the hired individual. Specific tasks will include completing field surveys, documenting archaeological and historic built environment resources, preparing technical reports, and writing resource sections of larger NEPA documents. Strong writing skills are required and experience with GIS is preferred.
This position will also serve as task manager supporting NEPA Project Managers in successful execution of deliverables, which includes marketing, scope and fee developments, and management of task schedules and budgets. Coordination with clients and/or resource agencies is key to success and, therefore, strong communication skills are required. All Wilson & Company environmental staff work collaboratively with engineering professionals in a variety of disciplines across the firm to meet project goals, and with other key staff to build relationships both locally and in all states where Wilson & Company is conducting environmental project work.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide technical archaeological and cultural resources expertise detailed in Job Description above.
- Serve as task manager on environmental projects firmwide; coordinate with and support project managers for overall project performance and deliver projects to clients on schedule and on budget.
- Conduct archaeological and cultural resources field surveys, includes travel throughout the Intermountain West and Southwest and potential out-of-state travel to support a national environmental program.
- Prepare/author technical reports.
- Collaborate on the preparation of environmental and NEPA documentation.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with engineering professionals in a variety of disciplines across Wilson & Company to meet project goals, and with other key staff to build client relationships in states where Wilson & Company is conducting environmental project work.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Science (MS) degree in archaeology or anthropology or related discipline.
- 1+ years of directly relevant field experience, survey and/or excavation in at least one of the four states listed above. Experience in two or more of the listed states is preferred.
- Participation in an archaeological field school or 1.5 months of full-time archaeological excavation.
- Working knowledge of National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), Section 106 regulations, and state cultural resource statutes.
- 3+ years of progressively responsible task management and report writing experience.
- Experience with GPS data collection technologies (Trimble or Juniper GNSS Receivers, ESRI Field Maps).
- Proven ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, environmental, and cultural resources professionals.
- Task management skills with proven ability to complete work on schedule and within budget.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills with attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe applications.
Please note that Wilson & Company is not currently sponsoring applicants for work visas.
Annual Salary Range: $60,000 – $117,000
Contact – Kelcey.email@example.com