Historical Research Associates (HRA) is seeking an Archaeologist 1 to join our collaborative team of
experts in our Seattle office. This is a salaried, full-time position with anticipated salary of $63,706-
$79,631 depending on experience and qualifications.
HRA values the health and safety of our employees, and we work on projects that require
compliance with local, state, and client COVID-19 vaccine requirements. We ask that all employees
voluntarily disclose their vaccination status to our Health and Safety Manager upon hire.
The Archaeologist 1 performs research tasks, fieldwork, laboratory, and/or writing tasks as part of a
project team. As directed by project managers, leads small field projects and occasionally directs
project team members in specific tasks. Contributes to the preparation of reports and client
deliverables under the oversight of project managers.
Required education and experience:
• Master’s Degree or PhD in Anthropology or closely related field with Archaeology emphasis
• Preparation of a Master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation
• Completion of accredited field school.
• Familiarity with the Section 106 process.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Six months or more field experience
• Registered Professional Archaeologist
Required skills and abilities:
• General: Proficient in the use of technology to include, but not limited to GPS and other data
collection devises, use of online databases, digital cameras, scanners, and audio recordings,
and computer software such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Requires valid driver’s license
and ability to operate passenger car and/or light truck.
• Teamwork: Develop and maintain positive relationships, ability to balance work schedules and
demands, provide and accept feedback, seek to resolve conflict through communication and
collaboration, use effective verbal and written communication, listen and communicate
effectively. Successfully function within a project team, work closely with project team
members, and take direction from a project manager.
• Research: Conduct background research in various sources including ethnographies,
soils/environmental/cultural background, SHPO databases, GLO plats, land
patents/historic maps, and tax assessments. Have the ability to recognize the need for and to
locate additional background or archival resources.
• Writing: Sufficient technical writing skills to contribute to deliverables. Contribute to
research, inventory, resource evaluation, and monitoring plans and reports; the ability to contribute to high quality products with knowledge and understanding of appropriate style
for the document.
• Field: Successful use of a compass, topographic maps, GPS, ArcPAD, and related field
equipment. Able to excavate shovel probes and conduct pedestrian survey in sometimes
• Strong verbal and writing communication skills
• Ability to remember and follow detailed instructions
• Willingness to travel throughout the Pacific Northwest and the rest of the U.S. (especially
Candidates should assume that up to 70 percent of their time will be spent in the field, and
approximately 30 percent of that travel will be outside of Seattle.
HRA offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that includes vacation, sick leave,
holidays, medical insurance, and 401K.
Please submit a letter of interest, résumé with three references, and an optional short writing
sample (CRM report preferred; an educational thesis will not be accepted) to Human
Resources at HR@hrassoc.com.
No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates with an advanced degree will be considered for
interviews. Interviews will be conducted with qualified applicants as they apply, and position will
remain open until filled.
HRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect
and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees.
Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status,
status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment, or any other status protected
under federal, state, or local law. If you need to request an accommodation related to disability,
religion, or related to domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment, please contact Human