The SCA, in partnership with the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), is seeking Crew Members to join the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps Cultural Resources Crew. The CRC is intended to provide aspiring archaeologists and preservationists the professional skills to build successful careers in land and resource management. During a season with the Outdoor Corps, members will gain the skills needed to become Field Technicians.
The CRC will complete preservation-oriented projects throughout Pennsylvania’s extensive park and forest system. Projects may include: Phase I archaeological and above-ground historic resource surveys, resource inventory, resource/site assessment, and research-oriented investigations. Crew members will be provided multiple opportunities to attend and participate in training and educational activities related to cultural resource management. Most work and activities take place outdoors or in a lab setting in all seasons and weather and involves physically demanding labor.
Position Title: Cultural Resource Crew Member
Position Dates: March 20th – December 5th, 2023
Weekly Schedule: Monday – Friday (37.5 hrs/wk)
Compensation: $15.00/hr + employer sponsored benefits (Health insurance, Dental, Vision, Retirement, PTO)
Location:Work takes place across Pennsylvania. Travel is required.
*This is a hitch based crew. Lodging and food are provided during the work week. Accommodations are typically cabins or other available park housing.
- Applicants should hold a degree (BA or BS) in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, Architectural History, Historic Preservation or a related field.
- Preference will be given to those with a strong background in cultural resources management and/or Section 106 of the NHPA; experience in field and laboratory settings; Phase I, II, or III survey methods and data analysis; writing for technical publication and public outreach; curation of archaeological or archival materials; and experience working with state and/or federal agencies.
- Candidates should have an interest in pursuing careers in cultural resource management, archaeology, or architectural history with state and/or federal agencies, non-profit organizations engaged in conservation or preservation of natural or historic resources, or private cultural resource management firms.
- Willing to camp outdoors and spend up to a week away from home. (Necessary gear provided)
- Must be a resident of Pennsylvania and have housing in state.
- Must have a valid Drivers License and access to a personal vehicle – *Travel Required
Interested candidates should fill out a basic interest survey through this google form: https://forms.gle/HkQrKDkYybWXnKjB7
and also submit a current resume or CV along with a writing sample to: email@example.com Please put 2023 CRC in the subject line. Any questions can also be directed to this email.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through Jan 14th, 2023
Interest Survey QR Code