Archaeological Field Directors
Cultural Resources · Salt Lake City, Utah
Logan Simpson is an award-winning, multidisciplinary consulting firm that specializes in environmental consulting, cultural resource management, community planning, and landscape architecture design services. Our goal remains simple: to help guide responsible change. From the beginning, our founders were focused on protecting natural resources and advancing the wellbeing of our communities.
Logan Simpson has an immediate opening for one or more regular full-time Archaeological Field Directors based in our Salt Lake City, Utah office. We have several multi-year cultural resources contracts with federal and state agencies across the West. Field directors will work on a variety of interesting projects across the Great Basin, Southwest, Rocky Mountains, Columbia Plateau, and Great Plains regions.
- Managing and leading one or more archaeological field crews with the assistance of crew leads.
- Proficiently and independently prepare complex technical survey reports and site forms.
- Accurately and efficiently record cultural resources in the field.
- Operate Trimble GPS units.
- Use digital data collection methods.
- Evaluate sites for National Register of Historic Places eligibility.
- Conduct quality control/quality assurance reviews of field data.
- Must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Archaeology.
- Must meet permitting qualifications at the crew lead or principal investigator level on federal permits in Utah and/or Nevada.
- Master’s degree in Anthropology or closely related field.
- 4+ years of archaeology consulting or agency experience including 2+ years of supervisory experience.
- 1+ years of archaeology experience in the Great Basin or Southwest, including experience directing field projects.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures and in remote locations (camping is a possibility).
- Ability to walk up to 10 miles per day over steep terrain for extended periods of time.
- Willingness to work field sessions up to 8 days in a row.
- Ability to work out of town.
- Be able to work cooperatively in a team-oriented setting.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Proficiency with electronic devices such as smart phones and tablets for digital data collection (iOS operating system experience a plus).
- Working knowledge of the National Register of Historic Places and Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- Ability to independently prepare high quality technical reports and site forms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and databases.
- Ability to work locally in our Salt Lake City office.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions from vaccination may be considered for medical reasons or for a sincerely held religious belief.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local historic preservation and cultural resources regulations.
- Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA).
This is a full-time position paid on a salaried basis between $60,320 – $68,640 annually, depending on experience and education.
Logan Simpson offers the following benefits and perks:
- $59/day per diem for projects with lodging; $95/day per diem for camping projects.
- A Comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision plans, firm paid Life/AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage, and a 401(k) with a firm match.
- Paid time off starting at 16 days off per year, and 7 paid holidays plus 1 floating holiday.
- Work on a variety of interesting projects.
- Bonus programs for publishing, employee referrals, and academic achievements.
- Support for professional conference attendance and external trainings.
- Internal professional development program.
- Tuition reimbursement program.
- Babies-at-Work program.
- Paid Costco memberships, paid parking, and reimbursement for public transit costs.
If interested, please apply and attach a resume and a cover letter.
Diversity, inclusion, and respect are at the core of our values. Here at Logan Simpson, we believe we have a responsibility as a firm to promote and guide responsible change. To do that, we embrace the unique perspectives and experiences of each of our talented staff members. We strive to create an inclusive workplace to connect us closer to our clients and the communities we serve.
Logan Simpson is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. No staff member or applicant is ever denied equal opportunity or discriminated against because of race (including hair style), color, religion (includes religious dress and grooming practices), sex, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, parental status, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation or belief, military or veteran status, or any other prohibited factor, including equal pay for staff members who perform equal work. Staff members are recruited, hired, and promoted based on the individual who is the most qualified for that particular position.