Company: International Archaeology, LLC (IA)
Position Title: GIS Specialist
Position Status: Half-time to Full-time (Non-Exempt)
Location: Honolulu, Hawai‘i
International Archaeology, LLC (IA) is an equal opportunity employer that provides a full range of archaeological and cultural resource management services to private businesses; federal, state, county, and territorial government and Defense Department agencies; educational institutions; and individuals. Our experienced staff of archaeologists and cultural preservation professionals have an outstanding record of achievements. We provide services to clients throughout Hawai‘i, the Pacific Basin, and East Asia, from our main office in Honolulu, and a branch office in Guam that serves the Mariana Islands and locations throughout Micronesia. IA is committed to serving our community, and one of the main aims of our work is stewardship of cultural resources – ensuring they will be available for future generations.
IA seeks a GIS Specialist to join our team. This position involves working within the cultural resource consulting discipline to support collection of field data, production of technical reports, and geodatabase deliverables. Duties include responding to field crews and report authors in a timely manner, following company procedure, and preparing standardized deliverables. Minimally half-time position, non-exempt; based on performance, fit, and company needs there is the potential for a full-time position.
Essential Job Duties and Functions
· Report to the GIS Director and/or the Technology Manager
· Respond to the needs of field crews to support GPS data collection
· Coordinate with report authors to produce informative and pleasing graphics present the results of field survey or analyses
· Work with standardized geodatabases (SDSFIE, Navy Data Model, GeoFidelis)
· Prepare GIS deliverables to the specification of the client
· Practice good cartographic techniques and exercise a good sense of graphic design
· Perform basic geospatial analyses
· Train archaeologists on the use of GPS units and related software, including web apps
· Assist with tracking GIS licenses and GPS hardware
· Help update standard operating procedures and the departmental style guide
· Practice good file organization
· Use Google Workspace to manage tasks and communicate with team members
· Additional duties as assigned
· Undergraduate degree in anthropology, geography, forestry or a related discipline
· At least one year of experience in GIS including cartography and working with geodatabases
· At least one year of experience using GPS in the field
· High degree of competence in ArcGIS Desktop, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox
· Solid proficiency in Google Workspace, Excel, Word, and Adobe Acrobat
· Understanding of Microsoft Windows
· Good oral and written communication skills
· Must pass a background check.
· Must be a U.S. resident or have a valid U.S. work permit.
· Three strong references
To Be the Best Fit We Seek Someone With
· High level of professionalism
· Great attention to detail
· Familiarity with industry best practices and professional standards
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Strong organization and follow-through skills
· The ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task and meet deadlines
· Strong ability to work both independently and well as part of a team
· A willingness to learn and take the initiative on a variety of tasks and projects
· A positive attitude
· The ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes within the position and company
· Experience with ArcGIS Collector, ArcGIS Survey123, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Microsoft Access, SQL, or Python is a plus
· Experience with a variety of GPS units (Trimble, Arrow, Bad Elf, Spectra, Emlid, etc) and mobile device data collection apps is a plus
· Experience with total station or RTK GPS is a plus
· Experience with IT help desk, on-site IT, Windows networking, or Mobile Device Management software is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
· Starting wage is between $25-$27/hour, commensurate with experience.
· Paid employee health plan (medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision), if at least half-time
· Eligible for 403b retirement program
· Eligible for parental leave after one year
· Eligible for Flexible Spending Account
· Paid Time Off (vacation and sick leave)
· Half-time, non-exempt, with room to grow
· Monday to Friday half-days
Ability to Commute/Relocate
· Must live on O‘ahu or planning to relocate before starting work (Required).
ContactPlease submit a letter of interest and résumé (including three references) to TRieth@iarii.org and Businessoffice@iarii.org. Closing date: open until filled.