Senior Archaeology Principal Investigator / Project Manager
Reports to: Archaeology Group Leader and Cultural Resources Department Manager
Requisition #: 188
- The Markosky Engineering Group, Inc. is accepting resumes for an Archaeological Project Manager / Principal Investigator to oversee Federal agency projects for Markosky. This position is an opportunity for a highly motivated, skilled archaeologist to expand and grow the cultural resources services in our growing Federal sector. This person will be relied on to have the ability and foresight to build the Federal workload for the company, under the direction of the Cultural Resources Department Manager, but who will also be largely independent.
- The position is a remote hybrid program, which entails primarily a remote work environment with some occasional work conducted in a Markosky office setting. This can be discussed further in an interview, if selected for the interview process. The successful candidate can be assigned to Markosky’s main office in Ligonier, PA, or they can also choose from one of its branch offices in York, PA; Charleston, WV; or Steubenville, OH.
- In interested, please apply to the posting on Indeed at this link: Senior Archaeology Principal Investigator / Project Manager – Ligonier, PA – Indeed.com
- The open position consists of managing archaeological projects and pursuing new Federal clients, business partners, and projects.
- Plan, develop, and oversee Phase I, II, and III archaeological investigations; author and develop technical reports; develop and complete a variety of other Section 106 deliverables; all of which will likely be conducted on an assortment of different subsurface cultural resources in different regions.
- Must be able to analyze results from the field, artifact analyses, literature reviews, historic document research, and other sources of information to be able to develop findings and interpretations regarding archaeological resources.
- Manage and oversee the project budgets, the staff members assigned to the project, their tasks, and other related duties.
- Coordination with clients, agency contacts, teaming partners, consulting parties on select projects, and other interest groups and individuals.
- Coordinate, develop, and implement a variety of standard and/or creative mitigation solutions for projects that require a resolution to adverse effects.
- Develop technical and qualifications proposals in response to Sources Sought, Advertisements, RFPs, etc.
- Develop scopes of work, technical approaches, and cost proposals for new projects.
- Participate in marketing and business development in the Federal cultural resources sector.
- Strengthen relationships with current teaming partners and establish new relationships.
- Oversee multiple cultural resource projects simultaneously.
- Process and conduct analyses on pre-contact and historic period artifacts.
- Develop recommendations of eligibility and effect.
- Ensure project compliance with applicable federal and/or state laws and regulations.
- Must be able to work with the staff geomorphologist when needed, apply the results of the geomorphological survey during the archaeological survey, and be able to connect the results of the geomorphological survey with the results and interpretations of the archaeological survey.
- Responsible for the quality assurance and quality control of deliverables to the client, federal and state agencies, consulting parties, etc.
- Must have excellent communication, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to coordinate with the Field Director and Field Supervisor, and clearly explain the goals of the survey.
- Must work with the Archaeological Group Leader and the Historic Structures Group Leader.
- Must have a positive attitude and a professional demeanor with the ability to work with and oversee various staff member personalities and backgrounds.
- Must be willing to travel.
- A writing sample will be required as part of the application process.
- Resume must clearly indicate candidate exceeds the Secretary of Interior Qualifications for an Archaeologist (36CFR§61).
- Must have an understanding of Sections 106 and 110 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- The successful candidate must have a Master’s degree in Archaeology, or in Anthropology with a focus in Archaeology.
- Must show an archaeological field school conducted in North America was part of their training.
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in North American archaeology leading archaeological projects, conducting research, writing technical reports, and developing other Section 106 deliverables.
- Must have experience as a Field Director, Field Supervisor, Crew Chief, or other similar role that oversaw individuals in the field.
- Must have experience in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Familiarity in one or more of the following states: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and/or Texas is a plus.
- Must have an understanding of above ground historic properties.
- An understanding of environmental permitting and laws is a plus.
- Must also possess a current valid driver’s license and be able to pass a drug screening test.
Starting Salary and Benefits:
- $40-$45 per hour as a starting salary, depending on experience.
- Markosky provides a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees that include:
- Three (3) medical plan options.
- Options for dental and vision coverage if elected.
- Life and ADD insurance benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan, which includes employer contribution.
- Paid vacation leave.
- Paid sick leave.
- Ten (10) paid holidays.
- Employee training.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40.00 – $45.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Master’s (Required)
- North American Archaeology: 10 years (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ligonier, PA