On-call Archaeological Field Technicians – Ohio
Terracon is looking for Archaeologists to join the Ohio Group to facilitate ongoing archaeological projects. This is a “as needed” position. Qualified candidates will help augment our teams in the Midwest but may lead to additional work with Terracon Archaeology Group across the country. Qualified candidates will conduct and participate in standard archeological work assignments as needed, including background research, artifact and records processing, field excavations and monitoring, laboratory processing, and reporting as assigned. Assists with the execution of all phases of Terracon Cultural Resource projects. Cleans and maintains field and lab equipment and supplies. May assist other Terracon environmental service lines on projects. Adheres to strict safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
· Follow safety rules, guidelines, and standards for all projects.
· Independently perform routine field tasks associated with excavation, including documenting and cataloging, note taking, photographic documentation.
· Excavation of standard shovel tests or test units
· Participate in and support routine laboratory tasks including washing and cataloging artifacts, creating inventories, processing records and associated documents.
· Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
· Documentation of testing results, including ability to draw a site map.
· Demonstrate knowledge of archaeological survey and excavation.
· Perform quality control on field documents daily.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology or closely related field.
· Six months professional archaeological experience in Archaeological experience in the Ohio Valley.
· Phase I, II, and/or III level experience.
· Experience working in Cultural Resource Management.
· Completion of an Archaeological Field School.
· Ability to travel for extended periods of time.
· Ability to recognize Pre-Contact and Historic artifacts and cultural features.
· Familiarity or knowledge of handheld GPS systems.
· Ability to adequately document field work on standard field forms.
· Ability to multi-task within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs.
· Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting and walking on uneven surfaces carrying at least 20 lbs. of equipment, and ability to work in extreme (hot/cold) weather conditions.
· Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship.
· Ability to pass drug screening.
· Possession of a U.S. driver’s license, with acceptable violation history.
Salary $20-23 per hour