Harris Environmental Group
Tucson, AZ 85705
Harris Environmental Group (HEG) is looking for Archaeological Field Technicians for cultural resources survey projects in northern Arizona near Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.
The project will begin May 20th. Crews will be working 8-day sessions, Thursday to Thursday. Camping is required. Camping per diem is $100.00/day. Pay is based on SCA wage rates for Coconino County, AZ. Two months of fieldwork are anticipated (four or five sessions).
Field Technicians are responsible for assisting the Crew Chief in identifying and recording cultural resources in the field. This includes identifying and documenting all types of regional artifacts and features, thoroughly filling out appropriate site forms, site/artifact photography, navigating survey transects with Garmin GPS, and mapping site using Trimble GPS.
• Bachelor’s Degree in archaeology, anthropology, or related field
- Accredited field school (preferred)
• At least 12 months of supervised experience in CRM pedestrian survey (preferred)
• Ability to work in hot conditions, inclement weather, rugged terrain, and remote locations
• Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day in rugged terrain while carrying up to 40 lbs. of gear and water (required)
• Proficiency with basic Garmin GPS devices and familiarity with Trimble GPS (using Terrasync) is preferred
• Skill using digital tablets for site recordation (preferred)
• Experience identifying and documenting regional ceramic typologies of the northern Arizona / southern Utah (preferred)
• Ability and equipment to camp in remote locations for 8 consecutive days (required)
Please indicate in your cover letter if you have previously been listed as a Crew Chief or Field Director for the BLM in AZ or NM or are listed on any other federal or state permits in AZ, NM, UT, or CO.
HEG is an award-winning, woman-owned cultural and natural resources consulting firm specializing in the American Southwest. Our team includes archaeologists, architectural historians, wildlife biologists, environmental scientists, plant ecologists, and administrative personnel. We have a long history of working with federal, state, and local agencies throughout the Southwest, and our clients benefit from the collective experience of our diverse group of specialists. HEG is an Equal Opportunity Employer – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please send cover letter (including date of availability) and CV/resume to Laura Tenen at email@example.com AND Kent Mead at firstname.lastname@example.org.