Archaeological Crew Chief
Tracking Code 15982
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson (JMT) is seeking a full-time Archaeological Crew Chief to assist with fieldwork and research associated with upcoming archaeological projects. The qualified candidate for this position will assist JMT Project and Senior Archaeologists during Phase I-III fieldwork in Pennsylvania and surrounding states. Candidates must be able to perform physically demanding tasks in adverse environmental conditions (e.g., rugged terrain, remote locations, hot and cold temperatures). Candidates should also have good organizational skills, communication skills, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn new tasks. Additional responsibilities will include artifact analysis and writing portions of archaeological reports at the direction of the Senior Archaeologist.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Conducts archaeological field work with the ability to identify artifacts and determine the presence of archaeological sites
- Collects data and field samples during archaeological investigations
- Analyzes historic and pre-historic artifacts
- Assists with reviewing and writing archaeological reports and/or preparing archaeological site forms
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Qualified candidates should possess, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or a related field and have completed an accredited archaeological field school. Demonstrated skill and supervisory experience in all phases of archaeological investigation is required. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited school in Anthropology or Archaeology
- Mid-Atlantic or Pennsylvania experience in historic and/or prehistoric archaeology
- Familiarity with GPS/Trimble navigation and data collection
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Candidate will be required to work in person in Fort Washington or Philadelphia
Work is performed in the field 90% of the time and requires the ability to extensively perform bending, kneeling, standing, shoveling, and lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs as needed. Field work will require walking and carrying field equipment over typical outdoor terrain. Work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
Office work is performed within a general office environment 10% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Office work is performed with adequate lighting and temperature, with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Job Proficiency
- Job-Focused Learning
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce. Job Location Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular