Title: Archaeological Field Director
Company: MCA Consulting
Location: Southern Arizona
MCA Consulting, a cultural resources management firm in Southern Arizona, is seeking an experienced Archaeological Field Director to join our team. As a Field Director, you will oversee and manage all aspects of fieldwork, with a primary focus on field survey. Your role will be pivotal in ensuring the successful execution of archaeological projects and the accurate documentation of findings.
- Project Planning: Collaborate in the initial planning stages of archaeological projects, including scheduling strategies and establishing timelines.
- Field Operations: Lead and supervise the field team during survey activities, ensuring adherence to protocols, methodologies, and health and safety standards.
- Recording and Documentation: Ensure accurate and comprehensive recording and documentation of all archaeological findings, including field notes, site maps, and artifact cataloging.
- Team Management: Manage and coordinate the field team, assigning tasks, providing training and guidance, and conducting regular evaluations to maximize efficiency and productivity.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate effectively with other team members at MCA, ensuring project objectives are met, maintaining positive relationships, and sharing project findings.
- Reporting and Publication: Assist in preparing comprehensive reports on field findings and interpretations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in anthropology/archaeology preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in cultural resources management.
- At least one-year supervisory level experience in cultural resources management.
- At least one-year experience in the management of field crews.
- Proficiency in Arizona and/or Southwestern prehistoric and historic archaeology.
- Proven experience as an Archaeological Field Director, demonstrating expertise in fieldwork management.
- Strong knowledge of archaeological survey techniques and methodologies.
- Organizational and leadership skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in data recording, analysis, and report writing.
- Proficiency with technical writing and use of Microsoft Office Products.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills within a multidisciplinary team.
- Able to conduct archaeological fieldwork (predominately field survey) in extreme heat and cold in difficult desert and mountain environments.
- Able to work and camp in primitive field and camping conditions.
- This position works in the field and remotely from home.
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Leave
- Holiday Pay
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Per diem starting at $50/day
- Single occupancy hotel rooms
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. The pay range starts at $28/hr dependent upon experience.
If you’re interested in working in a small business setting with a casual yet professional vibe, we’ve got an awesome opportunity for you! Come join the amazing team at MCA Consulting, where we value dedication and dynamism. We’re on a mission to provide top-notch cultural resources management services throughout Arizona and the Greater Southwest.
To apply, simply shoot us your resume and a cover letter to Cree Bernhard at email@example.com, with “ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD DIRECTOR” in the subject line. We can’t wait to hear from you and embark on this incredible journey together!
MCA is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. MCA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.