PaleoWest is a solution-driven heritage consulting firm that prides itself on employing the best cultural resource management professionals in the industry. PaleoWest places an emphasis on supporting our clients’ needs, fostering new technologies that advance our industry while better protecting its fragile resources, and promoting professional development within the framework of innovation and forward thinking.
PaleoWest seeks one or more on-call Paleontology Principal Investigators to join our quickly growing team of experienced, motivated professionals. Principal Investigators provide technical leadership and QA/QC on paleontological projects overseeing field, laboratory, and reporting activities. This is a part-time, as-needed position. This position may be remote or located in any of our offices in California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, or New Mexico.
• Graduate degree specializing in paleontology, geology, biology, or a closely related field
• 5+ years of professional experience conducting paleontological investigations in one or more states in the western U.S.; prior experience in consulting is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to paleontological resources, and state-specific knowledge/experience in one or more of the following: California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico
• Demonstrated experience conducting paleontological resource surveys, identifying fossils in the field, fossil collection and laboratory preparation, analysis and museum curation, and technical reporting
• Willingness to travel and conduct fieldwork in often remote locations and in rough terrain and/or challenging weather
• Active member of the professional community
• Ability to be listed as Principal Investigator on federal paleontological use permits
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
• Strong technical report writing ability
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to lead field survey crews and oversee compliance monitors
• Knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to paleontological resources
• Demonstrated leadership abilities
PaleoWest is a respected firm, with offices across the United States. If you are interested in joining our rapidly growing team of professionals, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, and three professional references. Pay is commensurate with experience.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.