L&L Environmental, Inc. (L&L) is seeking an Archaeological Field Technician for upcoming monitoring and survey projects in San Bernardino and Riverside County. Applicant must have experience monitoring grading/trenching and other ground disturbing activities and be comfortable working around heavy machinery. Previous experience monitoring in areas of prehistoric and historic archaeological sensitivity is required and applicant must know how to respond if/when archaeological resources are discovered. The ability to read grading plans and communicate with operators using hand signals and other non-verbal forms of communication is a plus. Applicant must be professional, dependable, show up to work on time, maintain clear lines of communication with the Project Archaeologist, and complete all tasks required of the job including completion of daily monitoring logs.
The successful candidate(s) will demonstrate knowledge and experience in archaeological field methods including survey, excavation, and monitoring. A background in California and/or Great Basin archaeology is preferred as is experience in desert environments. Candidates may be required to walk up to 10 miles per day in remote and sometimes difficult terrain while carrying materials and supplies. Candidates must be able to sit, stoop, bend, climb, and use hand tools, shovels, and screening and other field equipment.
Candidates must possess archaeological field skills for construction monitoring, survey, and excavation work including:
• Ability to identify and assess prehistoric and historical archaeological materials in the field;
• Ability to work safely and efficiently on construction sites around large machinery;
• Ability to perform archaeological excavations;
• Ability to carry 40 lbs. over rough terrain over the course of an 8-hour workday;
• Ability to work in extreme climatic conditions, cold or hot weather;
• Ability to listen, follow instructions, and communicate clearly and effectively with supervisors;
• Ability to take clear and comprehensive notes and prepare DPR 523 Forms;
• Ability to read topographic maps and project engineering plans.
Qualified Archaeological Field Technicians will have (at a minimum):
• A Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology or a closely related field (B.A. or B.S.) or six (6) months field experience;
• An accredited archaeological field school Certification or comparable experience (preferably in So. California);
• Ability to travel to a location and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather;
• Ability to work in rugged terrain and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds;
• Current valid driver’s license (ability to safely operate a 4wd vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads preferred);
• Knowledge/experience with Collector, Survey123, ArcPad, or Terracsync is a plus
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please send an email with a summary of your experience, a resume and at least two references to L&L Environmental at: Jeddy@llenviroinc.com. No telephone calls, please. Competitive wages are based on level of experience and ranges from $20-25. All work varies between local with no per diem to travel with hotel and per diem.
L&L is a WBE certified consulting firm based in Redlands, California. The firm is committed to providing environmental resource and planning services, primarily in the Inland Empire of southern California, but also throughout the Southwestern United States. These services include: biological, archaeological, paleontological, and historical resource assessments, management, and preservation. L&L was incorporated in 1993 and has processed state, federal, and local permits in all areas of environmental services. Our client base includes commercial, industrial, and private developers, as well as state, federal, and local agencies. L&L is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse work force.