Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) Contract Archaeology Position Available
TVA’s Cultural Compliance (CC) staff is currently seeking to hire an experienced B.A. level (or higher, or equivalent experience) archaeologist for a contract position in the downtown Knoxville, TN office. Pay starts at $20-24hr (depending on experience).
The contractor will be an employee of Johnson Services Group (JSG), an outside hiring firm. The contractor will be working directly with TVA’s CC staff/contractors. Due to COVID-19, TVA staff/contractors are working primarily from home (tele-work), but some tasks/duties may require visits to the office or conduct/assist in field reviews. Once TVA starts to re-integrate the workforce, office space will be made available in the downtown office.
Our preference is for someone who has archaeological and/or architectural field experience, working knowledge of ArcMap, knowledge of GPS field applications, able to work a 35-40 hour week, and can travel. The candidate shall have a valid state issued driver’s license, be capable of traversing rough terrain, and excavating shovel tests. Additional preferences include an ability to work independently, have a good work ethic, team oriented, motivated, and being responsible, to name a few.
General tasks include but are not limited to:
1) conducting desktop level reviews, using internal TVA and State databases (archaeological/architectural), and online public resources for known historic resources and/or archaeological/architectural survey information.
2) conducting reconnaissance field reviews to determine if archaeological/architectural resources are present within the project area.
3) composing consultation letters, letter reports, and internal TVA CC documentation.
4) compiling the information from the above (1 – 3) and entering into TVA’s database system.
5) working in ArcMap (GIS) creating maps/shapefiles, etc.
6) composing scopes-of-work and reviewing/editing external survey reports.
7) some overnight travel and occasional long work days throughout TVA’s seven-state (AL, GA, KY, MS, NC, TN, VA) power service area. Travel is usually confined to a one night stay and on an infrequent basis (one or two nights per month).
The initial appointment is for 6 months and subject to renewal on an as-needed basis afterwards.
If you are interested please email your resume to Brad Creswell at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 25, 2021. Should you have additional questions please send them to the email above and I will respond in a timely manner.