Archaeologist – Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site (PCMS)
The successful candidate will serve as an Archaeologist supporting the Cultural Resources Program at U.S. Army Garrison Fort Carson, CO. This position is located at the Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site (PCMS) near Model in Las Animas County, Colorado. PCMS is approximately 150 miles southeast of Fort Carson. The successful candidate will provide on-site technical support at PCMS for archaeological monitoring and cultural resources surveys and perform the following tasks:
• Conduct routine site inspections, after-action inspections, and long-term monitoring in accordance with the scope of work (SOW), the FC Integrated Cultural Resource Management Plan (ICRMP), and Programmatic Agreements (PAs).
o Document and evaluate newly identified cultural resources and inadvertent discoveries, monitor ground disturbing activities.
o Photograph significant features and general site overviews, create geographic information system (GIS) spatial data and maps.
o Prepare/update site documentation using archival reports and GIS databases.
o Prepare site monitoring reports and recommend changes to inspection/monitoring frequency.
• Conduct cultural resource surveys and investigations in support of proposed National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 undertakings and Section 110 survey and evaluations.
o Inventory areas for cultural resources; evaluate “needs data” resources for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP); document and evaluate inadvertent discoveries; monitor ground-disturbing activities; create project-specific GIS spatial data and site maps.
o Conduct archival research; prepare historic context studies, survey forms, site forms, and technical reports of investigations; archive site documentation; submit data and documents to the CRM for review and approval.
o Analyze and photograph collected artifact assemblages and prepare for long-term curation, as applicable, in accordance with the 2017-2021 FC ICRMP.
o Organize and maintain the Cultural Resources Management Program’s databases and records (both digital and hard copy).
• Support the FC CRM and Sol’s FC Archaeologists with all aspects of planning, executing, and evaluating the annual Native American Consultation Meeting, as requested.
o Assist with conducting logistical requirements, preparing media designs, documenting meeting minutes, event photography, and final post-meeting deliverables.
• Plan all aspects of field activities, including requirements for appropriate tools, equipment, manpower, and time; and supervise the proper application of accepted field techniques.
• Provide guidance and support to junior staff to ensure the timely completion of high-quality deliverables.
• Bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or related field and a minimum of four (4) years of archaeological field experience.
• Working and up-to-date knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, field techniques, and survey/investigation processes and procedures (i.e., required State of Colorado inventory requirements/forms).
• Experience serving as a crew chief for various projects, including site assessments, site re-evaluations, and/or surveys.
• Experience with GIS data collection and map production, use of other GIS software and technologies (including the full suite of ESRI products such as ArcMap, ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, Collector, and Survey 123), and working of knowledge of scripting languages.
• Experience with MS Windows OS and Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Prior experience as a team lead and ability to mentor junior staff.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently, delegate, maintain flexibility, and manage simultaneous workloads of multiple tasks.
• Physical ability to conduct day-long fieldwork walking across varying terrain carrying equipment and under extreme weather conditions.
• Experience working on military installations is desired, but not required.
• Experience working in southeastern Colorado is desired, but not required.
• A valid state driver’s license, ability to pass a government background investigation and pre-employment drug screen, and ability to follow all COVID-19 safety protocols and procedures.
Please submit your resume and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sol Solutions, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit our website at www.solsolutions.net.
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: $50,000 – $55,000/year