Historical Research Associates is seeking an Archaeologist 2 to join our collaborative team of experts in our Eugene office. This is a salaried, full-time position with anticipated salary of $55,310-$70,201 depending on experience and qualifications.
The Archaeologist 2 performs research tasks, fieldwork, laboratory, and/or writing tasks as part of a project team. At the direction of project managers, leads field projects and occasionally directs project team members in specific tasks. Contributes to the preparation of reports and client deliverables under the oversight of project managers; this may include preparing the larger share of a small project report. May be supervised by a more senior member of the HRA staff with similar technical experience.
Required education and experience:
• Master’s Degree or PhD in Anthropology with Archaeology emphasis plus one year of experience working with field crews, analyzing research data, and contributing to research reports. Experience leading field crews preferred.
• Good working knowledge of federal, state, and local cultural resource compliance requirements, particularly the Section 106 process.
• Must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s professional qualifications standards in archaeology and any applicable state qualifications.
Required skills and abilities:
• General: Proficient in the use of computer software including Word and Excel. Ability to use online databases, such as library search engines and digitized records collections. Use digital cameras, digital scanners, and digital audio recorders. May require valid driver’s license and ability to operate passenger car and/or light truck.
• Teamwork: Develop and maintain positive relationships, ability to balance work schedules and demands, provide and accept feedback, seek to resolve conflict through communication and collaboration, use effective verbal and written communication, listen and communicate effectively. Successfully function within a project team, work closely with project team members, and take direction from a project manager.
• Research: Proven ability to conduct background research in various sources including ethnographies, soils/environmental/cultural background, SHPO databases, GLO plats, land patents/historic maps, and tax assessments. Have the ability to recognize the need for and to locate additional background or archival resources.
• Writing: Strong technical writing skills a must. Proven ability to contribute to deliverables. Contribute to research, inventory, resource evaluation, and monitoring plans and reports; the ability to contribute to high quality products with knowledge and understanding of appropriate style for the document.
• Field: Proficient in the use of topographic maps, GPS, ArcPAD, and related field equipment.
Candidates should assume that 40-60 percent of their time will be spent in the field, and at least 25-30 percent of that travel will be outside of Eugene.
HRA offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that includes vacation, sick leave, holidays, medical insurance, and 401K.
Please submit a letter of interest, résumé with three references and a short writing sample to Human Resources at HR@hrassoc.com. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates with an advanced degree will be considered for interviews. Interviews will be conducted with qualified applicants as they apply, and position will remain open until filled.
HRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you need to request an accommodation related to disability, religion, or related to domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment, please contact Human Resources.