Archaeology Director on St. Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands
Location: St. Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands
The St. Eustatius Center for Archaeological Research currently is seeking a qualified individual to serve as Senior Archaeologist and Director for the Foundation. SECAR is a small foundation with limited resources; as a result, the Senior Archaeologist/Director is required to simultaneously fulfill a variety of responsibilities and to undertake a variety of tasks, including, but not limited to, supervision and direction of projects and students, management of projects, maintenance of collections. The directorship also requires the ability to coordinate with government and community agencies and to conduct public outreach to engage with the community. In addition to the appropriate educational and experience qualifications, the successful applicant must demonstrate the ability and willingness to improvise and to multi-task.
● Commitment to relocation to the island of St. Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands, for a minimum of 3 years.
● Commitment to familiarization with all applicable local and national laws and regulations, including the Island’s Monument Ordinance and Dutch heritage laws.
● Managing the foundation’s daily affairs
● Mentoring students/interns
● Planning and conducting archaeological surveys, excavations, and various complex projects, including all financial, logistical, research and reporting aspects
● Performing all necessary field/laboratory tasks
● Collections management and curation
● Timely preparation of proposals and reports as required
● Preparation of applications for grants/funding
● Oversight/conduct of important public outreach component (ex: public presentations/community involvement/exhibitions/etc.)
● Minimum of a Master’s Degree in anthropology, archaeology, historical archaeology, or closely related field
● Experience in, pre-historic archaeology, colonial archaeology, or maritime archaeology
● 3+ years of fieldwork experience including in the area of CRM, preferably some in the Caribbean
● Demonstrated experience in supervision of fieldwork,
● Demonstrated experience in identification of various artifacts from pre-historic to modern
● Demonstrated experience in conducting analysis and interpretation of field and laboratory data
● Demonstrated experience in the management of complex data recovery projects
● Preferred 3+ year of experience in the management and conduct of commercial archaeology projects
● Demonstrated experience in the timely writing and production of technical reports and/or publications
● Fluency in English, preferred candidate to be proficient in Dutch
● Excellent writing, communicating, and mentoring skills
● Preferred to be proficient in grant writing, GIS programs, budgeting, and coordination with government and community agencies
● Familiarity with UNESCO and Malta Treaty guidelines
● Commitment to live on a small island (3500 people) for an extended period of time
● $2500/month net salary
● Housing, utilities, and foundation vehicle provided
● Free healthcare
● 20 days/year paid Vacation plus Holidays off with pay or compensating days off.
● Additional non-paid time off upon request
● Relocation costs covered
● Conference attendance granted for promotion of St. Eustatius and SECAR, after Board approval.